Some questions to soothe the anxiety commonly induced by Monday madness and melancholy:
– What’s the worst thing that could happen today?
– How likely is it that that thing will happen?
– Am I going to give others the power to offend me?
Remember that it is we who torment, we who make difficulties for ourselves – that is, our opinions do. What, for instance, does it mean to be insulted? Stand by a rock and insult it, and what have you accomplished? If someone responds to insult like a rock, what has the abuser gained with his invective? – Epictetus
– Does it matter what others think of me?
– Who is one person who could use an encouraging word today?
– If I should get fired (or in some way “fail”) at work today, what good might come from that?
– What is going well?
– In what way can I set an example for my colleagues/clients/family today? (Perhaps through kindness, a listening ear, diligence, eating a healthy lunch/dinner?)
– What am I doing better now than I used to? What helped me get there? Who helped me get there?
– What faculties and abilities do I take for granted that allow me to do what I do?
– Why am I at this place? What led me here? What keeps me?
And Some Phrases/Reminders to Tell Yourself <3
– Who I am today is not who I was yesterday. I am stronger and more knowledgeable. I’ve learned from yesterday’s mistakes.
– My mistakes (even those mistakes I’ve accidentally repeated) do not define me. They do not diminish or describe my character, and they largely point to my level of fatigue, stress, or workload. My “success” or “failure” within this sphere of life cannot amount to or measure my worth.
– Nothing others say to me can be offensive to me unless I permit it to be.
– Others may express disappointment in me, but I am giving my very best, and seeking/implementing feedback where I can, so I have no reason to be disappointed in myself. I am only human.
– There is more to life than this workplace/position/season. And instead of pulling work into the rest of my life, I’m going to endeavor to bring beauty and life to this place.
– There will be some people who just don’t like me – no matter how hard I try to be friendly and likable – and that is perfectly OK.
Sending you bunches of cyber hugs right now. <3 <3 <3
Please see disclaimer.
© 2018 Kate Richardson All Rights Reserved